In this digital world, no matter wherever you are, you will always be needing of an internet connection. Staying connected to the internet is more of a necessity in today’s world. And for that purpose, people use public Wi-Fi when they ran out of their data or not getting a proper internet connection somewhere. Public Wi-Fi is set up everywhere now including offices, schools, restaurants, hotel rooms, and even in railway stations. However, using this public Wi-Fi without proper security puts your privacy at risk. Public Wi-Fi is an easy target for cybercriminals who want to track your data and online activity. So, whenever you use this public Wi-Fi you need to take proper security measures such as a VPN.
How Does a Public Wi-Fi Put Your Privacy at Risk?
Most public Wi-Fi lacks basic security, and hackers can take advantage of that by hacking into your device. They can steal your data like Your Login details, your bank account details, your personal photos, and even your address.
Here is a list of cyber security threats a public Wi-Fi poses
1. Unencrypted Connection: An encrypted connection means the data you send to the web is secured and no third parties can steal it. Most public Wi-Fi doesn’t have an encrypted connection. When you are using an unencrypted connection then a hacker can use that to intercept and steal your personal data and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Public Wi-Fi is free and they won’t offer any strong encryption for users. So, you should always use a VPN when you are connected to public Wi-Fi.
2. Fake Twinning: Public Wi-Fi doesn’t have any passwords and it’s easy to rename a Wi-Fi to anything. A hacker might set up fake public wifi for you (Fitness Arena Public Wi-Fi, Oasis hotel Public Wi-Fi) and after connecting to it the hacker can access anything from your device.
3. Malware Injection: When you are on an insecure connection, a hacker can easily penetrate and inject dangerous malware or spyware into your device without you even knowing. This will damage your device’s health and with the help of that malware, they can steal data from your device.
How to Protect Your Privacy While Using a Public Wi-Fi?
Now that You know what are the security threats while using public Wi-Fi you might be wondering how to safeguard yourself while using public Wi-Fi. Well, using a VPN is one of the easiest and effective ways to ensure your privacy and security. VPN encrypts the data you send to the public Wi-Fi making your data difficult to intercept. VPN routes your traffic through its private servers so that no one can track your activity.
A VPN also assigns you to a new IP address hiding your real IP address and location making you literally anonymous from the hackers. So the hackers cant track your device neither your location. So, we recommend you always use a VPN while you are using public Wi-Fi.
How to Use a VPN to Protect Yourself On a Public Wi-Fi?
1. Install a VPN– We recommend you to use NordVPN. NordVPN provides you a secure, encrypted tunnel for online traffic to flow. Nobody can see through the tunnel and get their hands on your internet data. NordVPN is the best VPN if you’re looking for peace of mind when on public Wi-Fi. Securely access personal information or work files, encrypt your internet connection, and keep your browsing history private. NordVPN has secured servers with an AES-256 cipher – the same kind of encryption that governments use for their own systems.
2. Connect to a Server- NordVPN has almost 5400+ servers in 59 countries. Choose any of their servers to get a new IP address so that the hacker can’t track your original IP address.
3. Connect to the Public Wi-Fi- Now you are all set to connect to the public wifi without having any second thoughts on your privacy and security.
Other Things to remind While Using a Public VPN
There are many things you should be aware of while using a public VPN to avoid any hackers breaking into your system.
Use Strong Passwords- Even after having a strong VPN, you should always use strong passwords for sites containing sensitive content. A weak password leaves you vulnerable to cybercriminals. Set up a strong password including special characters, letters consist of caps and lowercase both and numbers. Never set up your password based on your birthdate or your name. And do not set your device to ‘Remember’ the password for your next use.
Disable Automatic Connection- Disable automatic connection of Wi-Fi so that your device won’t connect to any Wi-Fi it sees open. Because hackers may set up Wi-Fi without passwords for you to connect, that way they can access your data.
Don’t Type Sensitive Information- While you are on public Wi-Fi don’t enter your Bank details like Pin, Card no., CVV, etc and avoid logging into social media accounts.
Beware of Phishing Text– Even with a VPN in place, a successful phishing text or email can easily collect your sensitive information. A phishing message appears to be from a trusted company or individual but is actually from a cybercriminal. It will usually ask you to visit a link, open an attachment, or confirm your identity or login information.
Top 5 VPNs to Use On a Public Wi-Fi
|Public Wifi Protection