The pages indexed on Google comprise a small portion called the surface web. The major part of the internet hides behind the deep web. The dark web is the part of the deep web, a place where all the dangerous activities take place like marketing illegal products such as firearms, drugs, solen bank cards, and hiring torpedo, free access to child pornography, etc.
If you want to get access to forums and chatrooms, private gaming servers, stream hidden platforms and get hands-on strictly restricted content in your region, dark web is the place for you. You cannot get reach the dark web without using Tor (Onion Router), because diving deep needs a very secure and strong encrypted connection. Tor is a network of volunteer routers that send your data via three-level of grids severely encoding your traffic with top-level discretion and security.
But if you think that it is that easy to use Tor without any security software, then please be aware of the consequences (getting arrested for illegal activities). It is because when you transfer data on these risky networks, authorities like NSA can keep eyes on the Tor nodes. So, it’s advisable to use a solid VPN for safer access to such risky bends of the web.
A VPN with Tor enabled browsers will maintain complete privacy of your data by routing the traffic through various encrypted channels like remote servers worldwide. You will be away from the raised public suspicion, government agencies, ISP surveillances, and snoopers. Moreover, there will be an additional layer of anonymity and military-grade encryption.
Let’s discuss the best available really free VPNs for the dark web.
8 Best Really Free VPNs for the Dark Web
Here is the list of free VPNs for the dark web thoroughly tested and verified on the basis of speed, performance, security features, and complete anonymity. We have already told you that no completely free VPNs will offer you the feature-rich services, and if you are ready to spend a bare minimum of $2/mo, then there are lots of options to access the internet like a pro. Well, the VPNs listed below offer free trials, money-back guarantees as well as free subscription with limited feature availability.
1. Nord VPN
Today’s Nord VPN Deals
|2 Year plan||
- Top choice for the dark web as it has dedicated Onion over VPN feature which create a secure connection for Tor network
- Offer 30-day money-back guarantee on all premium plans
- Gives access to dedicate P2P servers with unrestricted bandwidth and data
- Powerful CyberSec feature that blocks malware and ads
- Security protocols like 256-AES encryption and automatic Kill Switch
- Fully compatible with major browsers, operating systems, smart TVs, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Hulu, Showtime, etc.
Today’s Best Windscribe VPN Deals
- A large network with servers in 63 countries
- Excellent ROBERT feature to block IPs and domains on your device
- No activity logs maintained
- Creätes OpenVPN, IKEv2, WireGuard, and SOCKS configurations for your systems
- ScribeForce for customer support
- AES-256 encryption with SHA512 auth and a 4096-bit RSA key
- Static IPs, port forwarding, and split tunneling features for more accessing resources more securely
- Browser extension features Impeding WebRTC to avert leaks outside of the tunnel, double hop, autopilot, time wrap, cookies monster, and location wrap
Today’s Best Surfshark VPN Deals
- Clean web mechanism to offer you a VPN which blocks ads, phishing endeavors, malware, and more
- Protects as many devices as you want with a single subscription
- Whitelister, a split tunneling feature that allows some of your internet traffic goes over VPN while the rest uses the internet as normal
- Private DNS and leak protection using IPv4 stack
- Camouflage mode for hiding your online activates even from your ISP
- Complete ID safety and track concealing while multiple servers hopping
- Default protocol called IKEv2/IPsec on all apps
- Verified security by audited firm Cure53
- Allows torrenting without much trouble
4. Hotspot Shield
Today’s Best Hotspot Shield VPN Deals
- The free version allows a 500 MB data limit (download speed around 84Mbps and upload speed of 40 Mbps)
- Superfast US servers and the premium plan gives access to 3200+ servers in 70+ countries
- P2P file-sharing in the free version, but you can stream only half an hour of HD videos
- Strict no-log policy, but you have to bear the ads in the free version
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Protects up to 5 devices with a premium version
- Supports all platforms and has world-class encryption for unrestricted yet secure access to the net
5. Private VPN
Today’s Best Private VPN Deals
- Be undetectable with solid 2048-bit encryption shields
- Unlocks geo-restricted platforms and sites just like that
- Enables Tor over VPN connectivity as well as VPN over Tor
- One-click setup for all your operating devices, routers, extensions, and other known platforms
- In-house developers for solving customers problems
- Access to 100 strong servers in 60+ nations
- Full 30-day money-back guarantee policy
- 6 simultaneous connections
6. IP Vanish
Today’s Best IPVanish VPN Deals
- An ideal solution for streaming, sports events, Kodi, Fire Stick, and a VPN with cloud storage
- User-friendly apps for your devices and social platforms
- 1,500+ VPN servers in 75+ locations
- Unthrottled speed for accessing censored apps & websites
- 256-bit AES encryption and SOCKS5 web proxy
- Zero connection logs with unmetered fast networks
- IKEv2, L2TP/IPsec, and OpenVPN protocols
- 250GB SugarSync encoded storage & backup
- 24/7 customer support and 30-day money-back assurance
7. Proton VPN
Today’s Best Proton VPN Deals
- Single click for routing your traffic via Tor network and access Onion sites
- The free plan gives access to one VPN connection, 3 servers, medium speeds, and no logs
- The basic plan offers 2 VPN connections with high-speed servers in 50 countries
- Get log-free VPN with P2P/ Bit torrent support
- More Premium version offers Tor over VPN and Secure Core servers
- Data protection with Swiss-based privacy laws known to be the strongest in the world
- Kill switch, DNS leak protection, AES-256 encryption, and established Open VPN protocols
- Multi-platform compatible VPN with proficient customer support
- Open source and audited VPN apps with Perfect Forward Secrecy
Today’s Best Hide Me VPN Deals
- The free connection gives access to 10 GB data/mo, 5 server locations, and connect only 1 device
- Advanced privacy features like Stealth Guard, split tunneling, IPv6 support, WireGuard, advanced IP leak protection
- Complete digital privacy to enjoy the internet freely
- Choice of over 1800 servers in 72 nations including The Americas, Asia, and Europe
- Dynamic Port Forwarding, unlimited data transfer, and unrestricted server switching with paid subscriptions
- Lifetime free VPN that comes with a 30-day risk-free money-back policy
- An all-inclusive VPN for all your operating systems, live gaming sessions, and social channels like WhatsApp, Facebook, YouTube, Skype, FaceTime, Google, etc.
- No keeping of logs or exposing to customized ads even in the free version
Will free VPNs for the dark web be of any help?
We all know that free VPNs will offer limited server access along with restricted data transfer, and very few security features. One more thing to consider is that if a VPN service provider gives you enough features to browse the dark web safely, they will keep logs of your browsing data and will expose you to ads. They have to make money somehow to stay on their toes.
With so many prying eyes around, some bodies can easily infiltrate Tor connections making the dark web the most perilous place. That’s the reason we recommend you to use a VPN service with nifty Onion Over VPN feature that keeps your dark web browsing safe and unidentified. But only the premium ones will give you the desired results while browsing the dark web.
Risks attached to browsing the dark web via Free VPNs
We have already discussed that the free VPNs might sell your data to third parties and keep logs of your surfing or transferred data. But there is also a device’s speed issue that you will encounter with free VPNs. There is a severe limitation on bandwidth and speed that affects even a usual dark web browsing. For better-performing servers speed and unrestricted bandwidth, using a premium VPN is the sole solution.
Furthermore, the dark web is known to be a difficult place with a bad repute, and as you enter this space without any security measures, the inquisitive eyes will be fixed on you. Only through an anonymous browser like Tor, your journey can be streamlined. Having a VPN enabled the Tor browser, you can dig deep for information numbers, online gaming kinships, adult stuff, and suppressed journalism.
Do remember, even with the use of a VPN, you cannot browse a few numbers of websites. They are not meant for you and if you try your boldness on it, you might end up in jail or penalize heavily. Therefore, it is better to stay cautious while browsing dark web space.
I hope you found this post helpful for your next venture. The aforementioned premium as well as free VPNs for the dark web will really work if you want to dig deep on the internet. But do remember that no VPN will encourage evil or absolutely banned online activities, and their TERMS OF SERVICE policies strictly claim that they won’t be held themselves responsible for your malevolent acts.
If you are browsing the dark web via Tor for merely gaining access to private chat forums, gaming sessions, or blocked content of your region, then there are no such major issues. Also, don’t fall into the trap of free VPN tag as there is always a heavy price attached to the free stuff. A premium version of a VPN is what you need to explore the dark web.
You must understand that security is of the utmost importance when you dive into the dark web, as it is the house of trollers, hackers, and all kinds of nasty content. Authorities always keep an eye on those who explore the dark side of the internet. So, using a paid version of a VPN is a wise choice as the free version will fail to offer you unrestricted yet safe and private access to the online world.
If you are still unsure about a few things, then please shoot a comment and wait for us to answer it. We will try to help you with our best.