What Exactly is a VPN?
- VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. It safeguards the user while accessing a public network or large network fundament.
- It enables an individual to anonymously use the internet by blocking or hiding your identity from a third party and protects your data from being stolen.
- VPNs enciphers your internet traffic and hides your real identity. A VPN also provides the user accessibility to a resource that might be restricted on a public network.
- The VPNs cannot entirely hide an individual’s identity but can surely bring increment insecurity of the private information of the user.
How Does a VPN Work?
- A VPN server acts as a source of an individual’s data. By using a VPN the user surfs through the internet without disclosing his/her identity that is the IP address.
- Once connected to the VPN server, the user has its own private IP address which is the VPN Server’s IP address.
- While using the Internet Service Provider all our online history can be tracked by a third party but through the VPN server the third party can trace the history of an individual only till the VPN server and not the personal location or the real user unless the user is using websites like GOOGLE or YOUTUBE.
What are the Main Benefits of Using a VPN ?
- The user being unaware, a website can track the online history of a user very easily but while using VPN the personal information of a user is completely secured.
- When using an ISP after reaching a limit of the data speed is slowed down which prevents you from speedy use of the internet. While when using a VPN, the user can avoid data cap. This is helpful because the internet service provider is also unaware of how much data the user is accessing.
- A VPN is also effective for remote use as it provides the users access to the internet even outside a particular place.
- A VPN provides better performance facility which no user is ready to compromise with.
- Using a VPN also helps a user be secured against online frauds.
- VPN also gives access to the applications or websites such as Netflix, AmazonPrime, Hulu, and etc which restrict content like movies and shows based on location. Using VPN you can access all the global content at your location.
How To Securely Use a VPN?
- The user should start the VPN once he is online.
- VPN acts as a hidden route between the user and the internet.
- The ISP is not able to trace the VPN route the user is working on.
- The user now reaches to a VPN route and his/her IP address is being changed to a private IP address that is the VPNs server IP address.
- Now finally the user is all set to use the internet with all of his personal information being protected by a VPN.
What is a Proxy Server?
- The word proxy refers to “acting on behalf of another” and a proxy servers always works for the user on his/her behalf.
- Proxy server acts as a gateway between the user and the internet.
- It is basically a server that has its own IP address.
- A proxy works on one application at a time
- Several proxy servers do not support secure HTTPS data transfers and is therefore not much secure.
How is a Proxy Different From a VPN?
|1. Provides high level of security with encryption for SSL and non SSL connections||1. Proxy offers low level of security encryption for both the SSL and non SSL connections.|
|2. A VPN never compromises with the speed of the internet .||2. A Proxy server might reduce the speed of the internet when overloaded with several requests.|
|3. A VPN requires skills for its setup.||3. A Proxy is easy to setup.|
|4. A VPN is compatible with all the operating systems||4. A Proxy is limited to specific browsers.|
|5. A VPN summarizes the data and send it to the user.||5. A Proxy usually modifies or alters the data before sending it to the user.|
|6. A VPN server encrypts all the online traffic||6. Proxy just hides up the IP address of the user and not his/her online traffic.|
|7. VPN servers are generally paid||7. Proxy servers can be offered for free.|
|8. The protocols used in a VPN are PTTP(Point to point tunneling protocol) , L2TP(Layer 2 tunneling protocol)etc.||8. Proxy uses protocols like FTP(File Transfer Protocol), SMTP(Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) , HTTP(Hyper-text Transfer Protocol) etc.|
|9. VPN works on firewall||9. Proxy works on the browsers.|
|10. A VPN requires software||10. A Proxy does not require a software|
Is VPN Better than a Proxy?
A VPN server is always a better option as it encrypts the entire online traffic of the user and secures the personal information of an individual. A proxy just directs the data to the user without any extra protection. Thus, a VPN is always better than a proxy if a user is willing to choose a secured connection and wants to maintain his/her privacy.
When To Use a VPN Or a Proxy?
A VPN enables a user to surf the internet anonymously but with higher costs. So, if a user is willing to work at a low cost he must opt for a proxy server. Moreover, a proxy only hides the IP address of a user while a user who is willing to keep all his personal information, as well as online history secured, must go for a VPN server.
Can a VPN and Proxy be Used Together?
YES. A VPN and Proxy can be used together but there is no benefit of using both of them as a VPN already inherits the features of a Proxy. Also, if a user thinks that using both of them will provide better internet speed, The answer is NO. The speed provided to the user will be either of the VPN or the Proxy.